These air fryer Brussels sprouts with miso glaze are healthy little morsels of goodness. Flavor-packed, low in carbs, and high in nutrients, you can (and most certainly will) load up on seconds, and thirds! This keto Brussels sprouts recipe is written for an air fryer, but if you don't have one, no worries! You can easily make roasted Brussels sprouts with miso in the oven, too.
The miso glaze is a beautiful balance of savory, salty and umami flavor, combined with monk fruit and toasted sesame oil for sweet and nutty notes. Air fryer Brussels sprouts are quick and simple to make! Crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, these keto Brussels sprouts are far from soggy!
Brussels sprouts in the air fryer
I've never been one for collecting the latest trending kitchen gadget, mainly because I hate the learning process (and user manuals!), plus my tiny kitchen is already bursting at the seams and has minimal counter space. But this little air fryer is now a beloved addition to my kitchen, and is well worth the prime kitchen counter real estate! It's easy to use, energy efficient, and it gives certain foods an outer crisp without deep frying! If you've tried my air fryer zucchini tots, you know what I mean. And if you haven't, please so do. You'll be happy you did! 😉
Brussels sprouts in the air fryer are my new favorite way to prepare them! They get nice and crispy on the outside while still being tender (but not soggy). Plus, you end up with a good amount of those extra-crispy "chips," aka the outer layers of the veggie that fall off prior to cooking and end up semi-burnt, crunchy, and DELISH. They're arguably the best part of this keto Brussels sprouts recipe! Once you give air fryer Brussels sprouts a try, you may never go back to the traditional method again!
how to prepare Brussels sprouts
Preparing Brussels sprouts is simple! If they are still on the stalk (common if you buy them at a farmer's market), remove each Brussels sprout by gently pulling it backward until it snaps right off. Make sure to soak the Brussels sprouts to remove any dirt and debris (there will be more to wash off since they were on the stalk).
How to cut Brussels sprouts: Slice off the hard end of the Brussels sprouts, and pull back any discolored leaves. If your Brussels sprouts are small, you can leave them whole. Cut large Brussels sprouts in half vertically, and quarter the extra large ones. As much as possible, you want to make sure the Brussels sprouts are about the same size so they cook evenly.
How to cook Brussels sprouts: Tip #1: don't crowd these guys! However you're cooking them, whether they're air fryer Brussels sprouts or roasted Brussels sprouts, make sure to space them apart. Crowded Brussels sprouts lead to soggy sprouts because as they cook, they release steam. Space them out so they don't steam their neighbors. 🙂
how to make miso air fryer Brussels sprouts
Once the sprouts are washed, cut, and ready for cooking, you're just a couple of easy steps away from enjoying these delicious air fryer Brussels sprouts with miso. Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- Brussels sprouts, cut in half (quarter large ones)
- white miso paste (I've also used this Miso concentrate)
- apple cider vinegar
- toasted sesame oil (opt for "toasted" instead of regular sesame oil for a delicious nutty flavor)
- monk fruit sweetener (granulated or liquid))
- cracked pepper
- garlic powder
- sesame seeds and chili flakes (optional garnish)
The ingredient list is simple and works for most diet types, including keto, paleo, gluten-free, and even vegan (always check to make sure your miso paste is vegan or gluten-free).
Let's make some air fryer Brussels sprouts!
- Make the miso glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the miso glaze ingredients. I taste the glaze, adding more monk fruit for sweetness of more miso if you want more of the umami to stand out.
- Coat the Brussels sprouts: Place the washed and trimmed Brussels sprouts in a large bowl, pour the glaze over them, and toss them until they're evenly coated.
- Cook: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F. Once it's ready, arrange a single layer of Brussels sprouts in the air fryer basket, cut side down. Air fry for about 6-7 minutes, then remove the basket and use tongs or a spatula to flip the Brussels. Cook for another 6-7 minutes. Flipping them isn't necessary, but it gives them an even "crispness."
- Top and serve: When they're done cooking, cool them for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and/or red pepper flakes (optional), then serve.
You can still make these air fryer Brussels sprouts without an air fryer! Simply roast the Brussels sprouts in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 425°F. Don't forget to place them cut-side-down to get them toasted and crisp.
Brussels sprouts benefits
Brussels sprouts are a wonderful vegetable to incorporate into a keto diet. They're a cruciferous vegetable, in the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, and kale, among others. Since they are low in calories, high in fiber, and pack a lot of nutritional value (i.e. vitamins and disease-fighting phytochemicals) Brussels sprouts are considered to be a superfood.
net carbs in Brussels sprouts
If you're wondering how many net carbs are in Brussels sprouts, you'll be happy to hear that one half-cup serving contains about 4 g carbs, with 2 g of fiber for a total of 2 g net carbs.
If you're on a more strict keto diet, you'll want to make sure to avoid consuming "naked carbs," i.e. carbs without a source of healthy fat. So pair these air fryer Brussels sprouts with a rib-eye steak or some beef bulgogi or even swap out the avocado oil for MCT oil to get an added ketone boost.
Personally, I don't track carbs (and neither does my husband who is definitely more strict keto!) because I believe a sustainable keto or low-carb diet is not a numbers game, nor is it a one-size-fits-all approach. By that, I mean there is no magic "carb number" to stay under that works for everyone since each body and metabolism is different. For us, it's simply a matter of making healthier choices to incorporate into our lifestyle for the long term.
more keto Brussels sprouts recipes!
In search of more keto Brussels sprouts recipes? I've got you. How about enjoying Brussels sprouts at their peak of nutrition: raw! My Shaved Brussels sprouts salad with mustard dill vinaigrette is a delicious way to get all of those phytochemicals! This crunchy salad is full of flavor and all the best healthy fats.
If you try out these air fryer Brussels sprouts with miso, let me know! I love anything umami, which is why this keto Brussels sprouts recipe is one of my favorites!
you might also love...
- Keto asparagus with gribiche is a fantastic combination! Roasted asparagus paired with an herb-and-olive-oil-packed egg salad makes an elevated meal for any occasion. Whether you're putting a meatless meal on the table or brunching solo, this one's a must-try.
- Can I plug this low-carb chicken shawarma plate again? It's all the best things in one easy keto dinner, and it might just become your new go-to.
- This zucchini noodle salad with a spicy peanut sauce is a 10-minute meal! Crunchy zucchini noodles drenched in a sweet-hot peanut sauce and tossed with other veggies (and/or protein) is my kind of salad, especially because it makes a great leftover salad too.
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, cut in half (cut the extra large ones in quarters)
- 1-½ tablespoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 10 drops liquid monk fruit (or 1 teaspoon granulated monk fruit)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- sesame seeds and/or red pepper flakes (optional garnish)
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (see recipe notes for using a conventional oven).
- Place the cut Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the white miso, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, avocado oil, monk fruit, and garlic powder. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Pour the glaze over the Brussels sprouts and toss them in the mixture until they are evenly coated.
- Arrange the Brussels sprouts in the air fryer basket, placing them cut side down. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to do cook them in two batches- you don't want to crowd the Brussels sprouts.
- Air fry them for about 6 minutes, then carefully flip them with tongs or spatula, and air fry for another 6-7 minutes or until they look crisp and roasted but not burnt.
- Let them cool for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle on sesame seeds or red pepper flakes, if desired.
If you don't have an air fryer, you can roast these keto Brussels sprouts in the oven! Arrange the Brussels sprouts on a parchment lined baking sheet, cut side down. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 425°F, flipping them about halfway through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 345mgCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.