I'm forever trying to come up with new, keto spins on the classics, from easy low-carb dinners to desserts and (what feels like) everything in between. This keto chicken recipe is one of them - sun-dried tomatoes swimming in a creamy, garlic sauce with wilted spinach and pan-fried chicken thighs. It's pretty dreamy, in a Tuscan-style kind of way. Plus, not only is it keto-friendly, but it's also made with coconut cream/milk for a dairy-free, low-carb meal.
how to use canned coconut milk
A quick note on coconut milk. I realize I have a slight obsession with this versatile, keto-approved, creaminess-in-a-can that makes the perfect substitute for good old-fashioned heavy cream. I'm not dairy-free but my husband is most of the time, so I use coconut milk in cooking, baking, smoothies, soups, salad dressings, etc.
If you're new to using canned coconut milk, here are a few tips:
- opt for full-fat (which often rises to the top of the can as a thick coconut cream)
- don't remove the coconut cream before using, it's like gold! 😉
- keep in mind, coconut milk from a carton is much thinner and doesn't always work as a substitute for canned coconut milk
- my favorite canned coconut milk brands are Thai Kitchen and Native Forest because they both have a good amount of coconut cream, ideal for the ketogenic diet
If you want to read up more on how to use canned coconut milk, The Kitchn has a handy list of common mistakes to avoid with coconut milk!
how to make sun-dried tomato and spinach chicken
I LOVE this easy low-carb dinner! Chicken is a staple in our dinner rotation and I admit, it can get boring. But this sun-dried tomato chicken recipe is simple and full of flavor, a keto chicken recipe that's ready to go in 30 minutes - YES to quick comfort food!
About the chicken. I like to use chicken thighs because they're more tender and easier to cook than chicken breasts. If you can find boneless chicken thighs with skin, that's a bonus (extra fat and the skin fries up crispy). Other ingredients you'll need: sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, fresh spinach, garlic cloves, coconut oil, coconut milk, dried basil and oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- First, salt and pepper the chicken thighs, then pan-fry them in coconut oil until they're browned on both sides.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic, add the coconut milk, sun-dried tomatoes, and spices to load that cream sauce up with yummy flavor.
- Simmer the cream sauce for about five minutes, then add the chicken thighs back in and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the handful of spinach so it wilts during the last couple of minutes of cook time.
what to serve with sun-dried tomato and spinach chicken
There are so many keto-friendly sides that will go great with this easy, low-carb dinner! Here's a short list of my favorites:
- the creamiest cauliflower mash (low-carb, dairy-free, and it only requires 3 ingredients!)
- a side of roasted vegetables like asparagus or broccolini
- a slice of this savory almond meal bread
Don't forget those extra spoonfuls of that delicious, garlic-y cream sauce!
Cheers to easy meal prep and a keto chicken recipe that's not boring! Hope you love it! If you try it, let me know what you think with a comment/rating below, or on Instagram!
you might also love...
- this simple recipe for fajita cauliflower steaks with a cilantro-avocado dressing, a delicious way to eat your (low-carb) veggies!
- Tuscan-style beef and vegetable soup, an easy low-carb soup that's sure to warm you up
- smoked salmon and dill egg muffins for an easy keto breakfast!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4-5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- ½ a medium lemon, juice only
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 heaping cup fresh spinach
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken thighs. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Place the chicken thighs in the pan (you may need to fry them in two batches) and cook them for about 5 minutes on each side or until they're slightly browned. It's okay if they're not fully cooked on the inside, they'll finish cooking when they simmer in the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate. Set aside. Gently scrape any browned bits from the pan to remove, but keep the coconut oil in the pan.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic for 1-2 minutes (but don't burn), then add the sun-dried tomatoes and ¾ cup coconut milk (save the remaining ¼ cup for later). Add the lemon juice and dried herbs/spices, and let the sauce cook on medium-low heat for about five minutes.
- Place the chicken thighs into the pan and let them simmer in the sauce for another 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- During the last few minutes of cook time, taste the sauce and adjust, adding more salt and pepper or more coconut milk if the sauce is too salty. Stir in the spinach, just enough so it wilts.
- Remove from heat, allow it to cool slightly, then serve.
Make sure to use canned/jarred sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil that has no added sugars. Some brands are labeled as tomatoes in olive oil, but instead, mix in vegetable or canola oil, which are not keto-friendly.
The sun-dried tomatoes will add a saltiness to the sauce, so wait until the end before you add more salt/pepper. If it's too salty, add in more coconut milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 590Total Fat: 47.4gSaturated Fat: 22.6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24.8gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 610mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 36.3g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.