This keto brownie in a mug is just as convenient as a keto chocolate mug cake, but better. It's rich and fudge-y and is a true single-serving. Plus, this easy keto mug brownie recipe doesn't require a single egg!
There's no need to bake up a batch of keto brownies at 10 o'clock at night when those chocolate cravings hit!
Just mix up a few ingredients in a mug, pop it into the microwave for about a minute, and you've got yourself an easy, decadent treat that is also gluten-free and vegan. Sugar-free brownie mug recipe for the win!
Top it off with a scoop of your favorite keto-friendly ice cream and this amazing chocolate sauce for a delicious keto brownie sundae!
why you'll love it
I love a basic keto mug cake recipe but I never can really finish the whole thing- my husband I and will either share it or I'll save half of it since it's really enough for two servings.
This keto brownie in a mug is a smaller portion and doesn't require a whole egg, which means it's not quite as filling and is also vegan-friendly! And while I love my fudgy keto brownie recipe, this low carb mug brownie might just be the easiest way to satisfy that sweet tooth without a spike in blood sugar.
Let's talk about the texture. Super moist, tender and fudge-y-- gooey as any good brownie should be. Sprinkle in a few sugar-free chocolate chips for warm, melted, chocolate-y goodness in each big bite.
- rich gooey with a bold chocolate flavor
- ready in 5 minutes
- gluten free, dairy free, low carb and keto diet friendly
- the perfect sweet treat for any time of day!
Plus, it's a great recipe to make with kids! When they each get to make their own keto brownie mug cake, there's much less sibling squabbling in the kitchen! Another reason to love this recipe... 😉
(You might also enjoy this perfectly-spiced Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake, which cooks in just one minute! Topped with a cream cheese glaze, it's an easy-to-make indulgence.)
The best part about this keto brownie in a mug is that it's ready in a matter of minutes.
You will need:
- all natural almond butter (or swap in peanut butter)
- granulated monk fruit sweetener like Lakanto (affiliate link)
- coconut cream (or use heavy cream if not dairy free)
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa powder (I prefer Dutch processed cocoa)
- blanched almond flour
- coconut flour
- baking powder
- sugar-free dark chocolate chips (optional), like Lily's brand
how to make a keto brownie in a mug
The process couldn't be more simple! Combine all of the ingredients into a microwave-safe mug, mix it with a small whisk or a fork, and then cook it in the microwave. I don't often turn to the microwave for my baking needs, but I make an exception for this one. 😉
Be sure to check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page for all of the ingredient amounts and details.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a microwave-safe mug (or a small bowl), use a fork (or tiny whisk if you have one) to stir together the almond butter and monk fruit sweetener until it's well combined. Mix in the coconut cream and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients. Stir in the cocoa powder, then add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and pinch of salt. Mix well until the mixture resembles cake batter. I like to use a small spatula to scrape down the sides. Stir in the chocolate chips (optional).
- Microwave! Microwave the brownie batter for 45-55 seconds (check it after 45). It should have the consistency of a fudgy brownie- slightly gooey- but cooked and a bit springy to the touch. Let it cool for 3-5 minutes before enjoying, as it will be very hot!
tips for the best results
Another thing about this keto brownie in a mug : it's pretty hard to mess up. It's sort of a foolproof method, so long as you measure the ingredients correctly.
Still, here are a few notes on sweetener substitutions and why you should opt for Dutch process cocoa powder instead of a natural unsweetened cocoa.
Sweetener substitutions: You can easily swap in plain erythritol (like Swerve) or a powdered sweetener for the granular sweetener. Granular allulose will also work, but I recommend using 1-½ to 2 tablespoons since allulose isn't as sweet.
Why Dutch process cocoa powder? Dutch process cocoa powder is smooth with a rich, chocolate flavor. It's also referred to as alkalized cocoa powder. It dissolves easily and since it is alkalized, it is often paired with baking powder in recipes.
On the other hand, natural cocoa powder is a bit more bitter and acidic (and usually paired with baking soda).
You can read all about the difference here, on Sally's Baking Addiction. I recommend using Dutch processed cocoa powder in this recipe-- you will end up with a mug brownie that has a better flavor and texture all around.
And for an easy keto brownie sundae, top the cooled brownie with a scoop of your favorite sugar-free ice cream and this keto chocolate sauce-also delicious and also keto/vegan!
Do yourself a major favor and make a batch of that chocolate syrup in advance to have on-hand for those moments when ya need an extra dose of chocolate!)
Let me warn you: there's a good chance this keto mug cake recipe will become your go-to sweet indulgence!
It's just that good and it's an easy recipe that will come in handy time when you're craving a gooey low carb brownie!
you might also love...
- An easy keto brownies recipe that results in deliciously gooey keto brownies.
- Chocolate almond pound cake for the best combination of flavors!
- Keto chocolate frosting. It is smooth, delicious and dairy optional!
- These keto almond butter cookies with dark chocolate and sea salt. One of the easiest keto recipes with only six ingredients required.
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (choose a brand with no added sugar)
- 1-½ tablespoons granulated monk fruit sweetener (I prefer Lakanto Golden monk fruit)
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (the thick cream at the top of a can of coconut milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (preferably gluten-free and aluminum-free)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free chocolate chips (optional)
for a brownie mug sundae
- 1 scoop of your favorite keto vanilla ice cream
- 1 tablespoon keto chocolate sauce
- In a microwave-safe mug, use a fork (or a mini whisk if you have one) to stir together the almond butter and monk fruit sweetener until it's combined and crumbly. Mix in the coconut cream and vanilla, the mixture should be smooth.
- Add in the cocoa powder, then the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Stir the brownie mug mixture together- use a small spatula to scrape down the sides of the mug. The mixture should resemble thick cake batter. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave the mug brownie on high for 45-55 seconds. I usually check it after 45 seconds (you may need a towel or oven mit to remove the mug from the microwave). When it's done, the mug brownie should appear slightly gooey but cooked and a bit springy to the touch.
- Allow the mug brownie to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving, as it will be extremely hot. It is best served warm.
- If making a mug brownie sundae, top with your favorite keto-friendly vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.
Make sure to use a microwave-safe mug (a standard size mug works great) or ramekin. You do not want something that is too shallow, as the brownie will cook and bubble up in the microwave and could potentially boil over a shallow dish.
Even a microwave-safe mug can get really hot during the cook time so be careful when removing the keto mug brownie from the microwave oven.
For a peanut butter version, substitute the almond butter for an equal amount of all-natural peanut butter.
Dutch process cocoa powder is preferred due to its reaction with baking powder and its smooth, silky texture and flavor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 13gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 8gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.