Keto quiche Lorraine is a savory egg custard baked into an almond flour pie crust- a low-carb and gluten-free version of the classic quiche recipe. While it makes a perfect holiday breakfast or brunch, it's really an any occasion kind of meal (lunch! dinner!) that feels super special and isn't too difficult to prepare.
This light and fluffy quiche is easy to make low-carb: use heavy cream or a dairy-free substitute and pour the custard mixture into a simple almond flour pie crust.
Crisp bacon and sautéed onions bring the flavor, and the traditional Gruyere and Parmesan give this low carb quiche the perfect amount of cheesy goodness it's known for.
what is quiche lorraine?
Quiche Lorraine is a timeless classic - a breakfast custard pie named after the Lorraine region of France. Typically, a traditional quiche Lorraine is a combination of onion, bacon, and Gruyere or Swiss cheese drowned in an egg/milk mixture.
The ratio of milk to egg is what gives quiche a light and fluffy texture, and while I've altered that ratio a bit here to be less milk, more egg, it's a delicious quiche Lorraine recipe that is lighter on dairy.
why this recipe works
There are so many variations of quiche Lorraine and you can really make this recipe your own. It makes a great base that is easy to adapt.
Add other low-carb veggies, swap the bacon for leftover ham, or skip the cheese to make it an entirely dairy-free breakfast dish.
This keto quiche recipe is:
- gluten free, grain free, low carb and keto diet friendly
- great for a hearty breakfast, special occasion brunch, light lunch or dinner
- creamy, flavorful and delicious!
If you're looking for crustless quiche recipes, keep reading, I'll get to that shortly. Feeding little ones? My kids love the idea of "breakfast pie," and you can omit the onions or sneak in more veg (like spinach or grated zucchini).
If you've never made a keto quiche before, don't be intimidated! It's a two-step process just like traditional quiche - make the crust and then make the filling.
Simple ingredients are all you need for an almost flour crust, a no-fuss process (press it right into the pan!) and the perfect buttery base to this low carb quiche recipe. To prepare it, you will need:
- almond flour
- butter (or coconut oil)
- xanthan gum (optional)
And for the creamy custard filling:
- onion, sliced thin
- large eggs
- unsweetened coconut cream or heavy cream
- unsweetened macadamia milk or almond milk
- ground nutmeg
- Gruyere cheese, grated (or sub Swiss)
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh chives for serving (optional)
Optional add-ins: stir in a teaspoon of hot sauce, ground cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for a little heat.
The first step is to make the crust. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare another 10 minutes to partially bake.
To cut down breakfast prep time, you can make it a day in advance. When ready to bake the quiche, simply pour the egg mixture into the partially-baked crust and pop it in the oven.
Here's a quick summary but be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page to view the printable recipe card.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, butter (or coconut oil), egg, xanthan gum, and salt. Mix until a thick dough forms. It will be kind of crumbly but should hold well when pressed together. Grease a standard sized pie plate (9 or 10 inches in diameter) with butter or coconut oil. Transfer the dough into the pie pan and press it along the bottom and up the sides. Use a fork to poke holes into the bottom of the pie crust.
- Bake the crust at 350°F for 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven to cool for 5 minutes or until you are ready to bake the keto quiche.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Set it aside. Toss in the onions and sauté them in the grease for about 5 minutes, or until they are translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream (or coconut cream), macadamia milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper until it is well combined.
- Spread the onions across the bottom of the pre-baked pie crust. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the onions. Add in the grated cheeses. Slowly pour in the egg mixture, covering the layers of filling.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes or until the quiche puffs up slightly and the center is done. Remove from the oven and let the quiche cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
a crustless keto quiche recipe
If you want to skip the keto pie crust entirely, this keto quiche Lorraine can easily be turned into a crustless quiche recipe!
Make sure to prepare your pie dish by spreading a generous amount of coconut oil, olive oil or butter on the inside to prevent the quiche from sticking to the pie pan.
Follow the recipe, layering the ingredients straight into the pie dish instead of the pie shell. Slide the crustless quiche onto a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for about 25-30 minutes or until the quiche appears done.
A crustless quiche Lorraine is a great way to prepare this dish on-the-fly, and still packs all the flavor! It's also a good option for those with a nut allergy or anyone trying to limit almond flour.
- Make sure to let the quiche sit for at least 10 minutes after baking. The residual heat will allow the quiche to continue to cook and firm up.
- Don't forget to wrap the quiche edges with aluminum foil to prevent the crust from becoming too dark during the bake time.
- Store leftover quiche in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container, for up to five days. Since the custard is a mixture of eggs and dairy, it should not be left out at room temperature for longer than a 1-2 hours.
This quiche Lorraine is my favorite keto quiche recipe. Whether you're looking for an elevated breakfast, easy meal on a Saturday or a yummy keto-friendly quiche to throw into your meal prep routine, this one is it!
The bold and savory flavors of the bacon, onion and cheeses are hard to beat, and it's a great recipe that works any time of day.
If you try it (or make your own variation), let me know! Drop a comment below! I also LOVE seeing star reviews for any of the recipes here and appreciate your feedback. 🙂
you might also love...
- Smoked salmon and dill egg muffins, a quick and healthy breakfast that is packed with so. much. flavor!
- Keto zucchini fritters are another anytime-of-day food that works as a side, a bread substitute (eggs Benedict, anyone?), or a snack!
- Brussels sprouts hash is a savory medley of flavors and textures that makes a wonderful side dish or main meal, topped with eggs. Brussels sprouts are the main ingredient but salty bacon and tender sweet potatoes create a delicious combination.
Keto Quiche Lorraine (Low Carb, Gluten Free)
This keto quiche Lorraine is a low-carb version of the classic breakfast custard pie. Crisp bacon, sautéed onion and a fluffy egg filling are baked into a gluten-free almond flour crust- a savory meal for any time of the day!
almond flour pie crust
- 2-½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup grass-fed butter (or coconut oil), melted
- 1 egg (pasture-raised when possible)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
quiche Lorraine filling
- 4 large, thick-cut strips of bacon (or 5 smaller strips)
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs (pasture-raised when possible)
- ¼ cup heavy cream or unsweetened coconut cream (thick cream at the top of a can of coconut milk)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened macadamia milk or unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese*
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
almond flour pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, melted butter (or coconut oil), egg, xanthan gum, and salt. Mix until a thick dough forms. It will be kind of crumbly but should hold well when pressed together (if it appears too dry, add a 1 tablespoon of cold water).
- Grease the pie pan with more butter or coconut oil and press the dough into the pan. Use your hands to work the dough evenly across the pan and up the sides, forming a crust about ¼-inch thick. Flute the edges, if desired.
- Poke holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and let it cool until ready to use.
to make the keto quiche Lorraine
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until it is crisp. Set the pieces on a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the skillet. Toss in the onions and sauté them over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until they are translucent. Remove them from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut cream, macadamia milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper for about 30 seconds, or until it is well combined.
- Spoon the cooked onions into the bottom of the pre-baked pie crust, creating an even layer. Crumble (or chop) the bacon into small pieces and sprinkle it over the onions. Sprinkle the Gruyere and parmesan cheese over the bacon and onion layers.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pie dish, covering the layers of ingredients.
- Slide the pie dish onto a baking sheet. Wrap strips of aluminum foil over the edges of the entire quiche, covering the crust only (this prevents the crust from turning too dark).
- Bake the quiche at 375°F for 30-35 minutes or until the egg puffs up slightly and the center is done.
- Remove from the oven and let the quiche cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
Optional add-ins: For a little heat, stir 1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce into the egg mixture. Or add ¼-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
You can swap in grated Swiss cheese instead of Gruyere.
Store leftover quiche in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
Crustless quiche recipe : To make a crustless quiche Lorraine, skip the pie crust preparation. Grease a pie pan generously with coconut oil or butter, then prepare the egg filling and layer the ingredients according to the recipe. Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until the center is done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.
This recipe is fantastic esp .for those who is trying to make a little figure around
The waist ! I