Keto zucchini fritters are the ultimate any-time-of-day food! Packed with freshly-shredded zucchini, parmesan cheese and protein from eggs, these low-carb zucchini fritters make a delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinnertime side. Add some garlic, scallions or dill to customize this easy keto recipe to your liking. And I personally love these keto zucchini fritters because, a) they are so incredibly easy to make, and b) my kids will eat them with zero complaints.
Keto zucchini fritters are:
- gluten-free and grain-free
- dairy optional
- packed with veggies and protein
Tip: serve them with a dollop of sour cream, yogurt, or aioli for extra deliciousness. 🙂
This keto zucchini fritter recipe is originally from my three-week meal plan, Simply Low-Carb (I put it together with low-carb dietician Noor Struik of The Nourishing State). Together, we created a really easy-to-follow guide to help anyone begin (or hit the reset button) on a low-carb lifestyle. If you're interested in the meal plan, check it out here. And if you have any questions about it, feel free to contact me!
This keto zucchini fritter recipe is a favorite from the plan, so I wanted to share it here as well. I scaled down the original recipe which calls for three cups of zucchini and three eggs, and changed this one to two cups of zucchini and two eggs.
how to make keto zucchini fritters
On that note, one of the things that is so great about this zucchini fritter recipe - if you haven't guessed yet- is it's an easy one to adapt!
Throw in some fresh herbs if you like- parsley, chives, cilantro and dill are all tasty add-ins on their own. And when it comes to seasonings, so many will do. Garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, cumin, etc. It's hard to mess this one up. 😉
the ingredient list
Here's the basic ingredient list for a simple and tasty keto zucchini fritter:
- olive oil or grass-fed butter
- grated zucchini
- almond flour
- grated Parmesan cheese
- eggs (opt for pasture-raised when possible)
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder or minced garlic
- chopped green onion (optional)
- herbs of choice (optional) like dill, parsley, cilantro, or chives
low-carb zucchini fritter recipe
The most effort involved in this keto zucchini recipe is pre-shredding and salting the zucchini to let the water seep out. This is a pretty essential step-- if you skip it, the keto zucchini fritter batter will end up watery and that liquid will seep out into the frying pan.
- Prep the zucchini. In a large bowl, grate two cups worth of zucchini (this is usually about 2 medium zucchinis). Sprinkle on salt and stir the grated zucchini, then let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Place the zucchini in a clean dish towel and squeeze out the liquid as much as possible.
- Combine the ingredients. Transfer the zucchini into a large mixing bowl and add the almond flour, parmesan, eggs, salt and pepper, garlic powder, chopped green onions, and any other add-ins you're using (fresh herbs, extra seasonings, etc.). With a spoon, stir the mixture until it's well combined.
- Cook the keto zucchini fritters. Heat the oil or butter in a large skillet or frying pan (preferably nonstick- I love GreenPan) over medium heat. When the pan is hot, scoop out large spoonfuls of zucchini fritter mixture (I use an ice cream scoop), place them into the pan and flatten slightly. Fry for about 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for another 3 minutes until golden brown.
tips for making keto zucchini fritters
- Make sure the pan has enough time to heat, otherwise the zucchini fritters will need to cook longer than three minutes to turn a nice golden brown color.
- I always use a nonstick pan when frying these zucchini fritters. If you don't have a nonstick pan, use a generous amount of oil or butter to prevent the zucchini fritters from sticking.
- When squeezing out the zucchini, I find that it's easiest (and less wasteful) to use a clean dish towel or cheesecloth instead of paper towels. You can use paper towels, but since they will break when wet, be careful that bits of the paper towel don't end up in the zucchini.
Why are my zucchini fritters falling apart?
There are a couple of main reasons why these zucchini fritters might fall apart, and again, it goes back to the type of pan and the amount of time they cook.
- Don't flip the zucchini fritters too soon. When frying, allow that first side to form a nice and golden outer layer, almost like a crust. This will help hold the zucchini fritter together when you go to flip it. If it's not golden brown, the fritter will be more prone to breaking.
- The zucchini fritters may be sticking to the pan. I use a thin and sturdy metal spatula to flip each zucchini fritter and I also use a nonstick pan* for extra ease.
Greek yogurt, aioli, sour cream, or your favorite hot sauce are all tasty toppings. And Everything Bagel seasoning adds a nice touch too.
more delicious keto zucchini recipes!
- Air fryer zucchini tots are another delicious and fun kid-friendly recipe! These are made with coconut flour- perfect for anyone with a nut allergy.
- This keto zucchini bread remains one of my favorite ways to use zucchini. It's tender with a touch of warm spices.
- Zucchini noodle salad and spicy peanut sauce is an easy zoodle recipe that is fresh and flavorful.
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten (pasture-raised when possible)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 minced garlic clove)
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, avocado oil, or butter
- Place the grated zucchini in a large bowl and sprinkle in ½ teaspoon salt (reserve the remaining ½ teaspoon for later). Toss the zucchini and set it aside to sit for 10-15 minutes. After it sits, place the zucchini in a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place the zucchini back into the mixing bowl.
- Add the almond flour, grated parmesan cheese, eggs, pepper, garlic powder and green onions. With a spoon, stir the mixture until it's well combined.
- Place a medium nonstick skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Heat the oil or butter for 1-2 minutes.
- When the pan is hot, scoop out large spoonfuls of zucchini fritter mixture (I use an ice cream scoop), place them into the pan and flatten slightly. Fry for about 3 minutes, or until the bottom is a nice golden brown. Flip and cook the other side for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer each cooked keto zucchini fritter to a paper towel-lined plate and let them cool slightly before serving.
When frying to zucchini fritters, allow the bottom to form a nice and golden outer layer. This will help hold the zucchini fritter together when flipped, and will prevent it from breaking.
If you do not have a nonstick pan, use a generous amount of oil or butter to prevent the zucchini fritters from sticking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.