This keto cabbage soup with sausage has so much flavor and is incredibly simple to make! Meaty and broth-y, it's packed with roasted vegetables, smoky sausage, and delicious herbs and spices. It's sure to become one of your favorite fall soup recipes, perfect for a cold day when you're in need of a quick and cozy meal.
This keto cabbage sausage soup recipe came to be one day when I had a few sausages, veggies, and a whole lot of nothing else in my fridge.
It's a great way to make use of veggies in your produce drawer, and calls for basic soup ingredients like carrots, cabbage, celery and onion.
I love the simplicity, ease general low-maintenance of the soup-making process. Throw stuff in a pot, let all those yummy flavors meld, and you've got a whole meal (plus leftovers!).
If you're also really into soup right now and want to make the most of soup season, check out my keto pumpkin soup with carrot and ginger, this keto mushroom soup, Tuscan-style beef and vegetable soup and my keto chicken soup recipe!
why this recipe works
What is it about warm soup that just makes things right?
This cabbage sausage soup is warm, satisfying and makes a delicious, comforting meal the entire family will enjoy! The best part is that it's a gluten-free, low-carb and keto soup that is healthy, nourishing, and will make your taste buds happy, too.
Here are a few more reasons you'll enjoy this flavorful roasted cabbage sausage soup:
- It's an easy soup recipe that makes a hearty meal with so much flavor.
- You can make it in 30 minutes.
- It's gluten-free, low-carb, paleo and keto diet friendly.
- You can easily adapt this low carb recipe recipe for this delicious soup with what you have on-hand!
- It's the perfect soup for cozy days, light dinners and meal prep.
Keto cabbage soup is loaded with low-carb vegetables, aromatics like garlic and onions, and slices of smoked sausage.
But you want to know what makes this cabbage soup recipe extra special and delicious? Roasted vegetables.
Here are the simple ingredients you will need for this hearty keto cabbage soup:
- Olive oil or avocado oil. For cooking the veggies. Either type works!
- Vegetables. I use a mix of chopped celery, carrots, onion, and green cabbage. They will roast in the oven first, which gives them a lovely, caramelized flavor and makes an extra delicious cabbage soup.
- Garlic. For the perfect savory notes that take this soup to the next level.
- Chicken or vegetable broth. You can also use chicken stock or homemade chicken bone broth!
- Spices and seasonings. Red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper are all you need.
- Sausage. Choose a high-quality, heavily spiced sausage variety like Kielbasa, Italian sausage, or Andouille. Keep in mind that the sausage can effect the spice level of the soup. The spicier the sausage, the spicier the soup will be!
a flavor-packed keto sausage soup recipe
Let's make it! Here's a look at my keto cabbage soup recipe but be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post to view the full recipe in the printable recipe card.
- Roast the vegetables. Chop the veggies small (except for the parsley and cabbage), drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and roast them for 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage. Chop the cabbage, drizzle it with olive oil, then mix it into the roasted veggies. Return to the oven and roast again for another 10 minutes.
- Brown the sausage. Add oil to a large pot or Dutch oven and brown the sausage slices.
- Simmer the soup. Add the ,minced garlic, spices, chicken broth, parsley, and roasted vegetables. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat so it softly simmers for about 10 minutes.
- Serve the cabbage and sausage soup. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with chopped parsley and red pepper flakes (optional). Enjoy!
tips for the best results
- Don't skip roasting the vegetables: Roasting the vegetables before adding them to the soup gives this keto cabbage soup extra flavor that makes it super yummy. Yes, it's an extra step but is so worth it! The roasting time caramelizes the vegetables which gives them even more flavor and a sweeter note once they're in the broth.
- Browning the sausage: I cook the slices over a high heat, just to brown them slightly. They will heat all the way through when the soup simmers.
- Season to taste: Taste the soup at the very end and add salt, pepper, and more red pepper flakes or Italian seasoning as needed.
- Substitutions: Feel free to use vegetable or chicken broth, bone broth or stock. For a vegetarian option, you can omit the sausage, double up on the roasted veggies, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Choosing sausage: This cabbage and smoked sausage soup is really good with any variety of high-quality sausage links (not ground sausage) that have good flavor on their own. This can be a Whole30 and paleo cabbage soup recipe too- just be mindful of the ingredients in the sausage you choose. I usually go for brands that are marketed as paleo, Whole30 or keto-friendly.
- Storage: Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
cabbage sausage soup variations
This cabbage soup recipe is an easy one to adapt and make your own! Here are a few ideas for tasty variations:
- Leeks or shallots. Either of these can be added to the soup or swapped in for onion. Clean and slice the leeks and roast with the rest of the vegetables. If using shallots, mince them and add them to the pot at the same time as the garlic.
- Sweet potato. If you're not opposed to sweet potato, one sweet potato (cut into cubes) would be delicious in this and won't add too much to the carb count. Roast it with the rest of the veggies before adding it to the soup.
- Extra spicy. For even more spice, add sriracha to the soup (to taste) or spicy seasonings like a dash of cayenne pepper or chipotle powder.
- Cheese. A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, grated mozzarella, or gruyere makes a yummy topping when serving the soup.
you might also love...
- An easy keto cheesecake recipe that no one will even know is sugar-free!
- Keto chicken tortilla soup, with tender shreds of chicken and a flavorful broth.
- Low-carb green chicken enchiladas, a delicious from-scratch green enchilada recipe the whole family will love.
- Keto cashew chicken, an easy meal that rivals takeout!
- These crispy chipotle air fryer chicken thighs which are mildly spicy and so easy to make.
- Crockpot no bean chili, an easy and meaty chili that simmers for hours in the slow cooker.
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper, ½ teaspoon of each (plus more to taste)
- ½ head green cabbage, sliced thin
- ¾ pound large sausage links, sliced (any high-quality spiced sausage will work, such as a smoked paleo sausage, Kielbasa, Andouille, or Italian sausage links)
- 1 teaspoon (or 2 cloves) minced garlic
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups (1-½ quarts) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Place the carrot, celery and onion on the baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the veggies with salt and ground black pepper, about ½ teaspoon of each.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cut the half head of cabbage into thin slices, then cut again crosswise to make them shorter. Rinse the and dry the cabbage, then place in a mixing bowl. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cabbage and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and stir in the cabbage. Increase the temperature to 450°F and return the pan to the oven. Roast for 7-10 minutes, or until the cabbage pieces has slightly charred edges.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat, then add the the sliced sausage. Cook until the sausage is browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes to the sausage, then pour in the vegetable broth and increase the heat to high.
- When the vegetables are done roasting, carefully transfer them into the pot. Add the chopped parsley and Italian seasoning.
- Increase the temperature to high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the temperature to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust, adding more salt and pepper or more seasonings as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with more chopped parsley, red pepper flakes, or grated cheese (optional).
- Roasting the vegetables before adding them to the soup caramelizes the veggies which gives them even more flavor and a sweeter note once they're in the broth.
- This cabbage soup recipe can be made with any kind of vegetable or chicken stock or broth.
- For a Whole30 or paleo cabbage soup recipe, make sure the ingredients in the sausage and the broth you choose are paleo and Whole30 friendly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 16.6gSaturated Fat: 3.6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 7.3gNet Carbohydrates: 3.9gFiber: 3.4gSugar: 2gProtein: 11.2g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.