This keto chicken soup is goodness in a bowl. Tender, meaty shreds of chicken, aromatics and herbs swimming in a deliciously flavorful broth is what chicken soup is all about! But a little bit of coconut milk, a whole lot of mushrooms, and a touch of lemon really make this soup.
It's soup season and one of the things I love about this recipe is that it's so versatile. I've made this keto chicken soup with leftover chicken, leftover turkey, homemade stock and store-bought broth-- any of the above works! It's a nourishing low-carb chicken soup recipe that is also paleo, dairy-free and gluten-free, and comes together in about half an hour.
low-carb chicken soup, an easy chicken soup recipe
Let's face it, there's nothing like homemade chicken soup. It's warming, cozy, and full of hearty whole foods. And while it's really good when served immediately, leftovers are even better!
One of the best things about this keto chicken soup is that it's a great way to use up leftover protein like turkey or chicken, or make use of homemade stock. It's also extra convenient when you don't really have much in the fridge except for a few forgotten items in the veggie drawer. No fresh herbs? No worries, dried thyme and sage are okay swaps. And while I will forever be a fan of full-fat coconut milk and the light creaminess it adds, you can omit it entirely if you want more of a traditional homemade chicken soup recipe.
how to make keto chicken soup
This keto chicken soup recipe is simple to follow and easy to make it your own! The recipe calls for already-cooked chicken. You can make chicken specifically for this, or make this with leftovers from a whole roast whole chicken. I like to shred or chop the meat from the roast chicken and then use the carcass to make bone broth. It's a nice way to get the most out of a whole chicken (plus, bone broth is extra nutritious!).
- olive oil or avocado oil
- celery, chopped
- carrot, chopped
- onion, chopped
- crimini mushrooms, sliced
- minced garlic
- chopped sage
- chopped thyme
- shredded or chopped cooked chicken (or turkey)
- chicken broth (store-bought or homemade)
- full-fat unsweetened coconut milk (canned)
- salt and pepper
- onion powder
- lacinto kale, chopped into thin ribbons
- chopped parsley
- fresh lemon juice
You will need a large pot or Dutch oven for this keto chicken soup recipe. It comes together quickly, but I also recommend a longer simmer if you have the time.
Here's a quick look at how to make this homemade chicken soup!
- Sauté the vegetables. With the pot set over medium heat, pour in the oil and then add the carrots, celery and onion. Cook the veggies for about 5 minutes to let them soften. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes (1-2 tablespoons of more olive oil if needed).
- Simmer the soup. Stir in the minced garlic and chopped herbs and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the chicken to the mixture and then pour in the chicken broth/stock and the coconut milk. Stir in the salt, pepper and onion powder. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Immediately turn it down to low and allow the chicken soup to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Serve. Stir in the fresh kale and lemon juice and simmer another 5 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with fresh lemon wedges (optional).
I hope you enjoy this easy keto chicken soup! It has amazing flavor and is a simple, good-for-you meal that's cozy and nourishing.
you might also love...
- Sun-dried tomato and spinach chicken is full of flavor! Sundried tomatoes and loads of garlic is always a good idea. 😉
- Keto mushroom soup is one of my favorites and this one is soooo good. Earthy, creamy, and delish!
- Tuscan-style beef and vegetable soup is meaty, hearty, and an easy low-carb soup recipe for the whole family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (or sub turkey)
- 4 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1, 14-oz. can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (salt to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup lacinto kale, cut into thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- juice of ½ a lemon
- lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Place a large pot or Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium heat. Pour in the oil and heat for about a minute. Add the chopped celery, chopped onion, and diced carrot to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally (add 1-2 tablespoons of extra oil if the mixture appears too dry).
- Stir in the minced garlic, fresh thyme and sage, cooking for another 30 seconds. Add the shredded chicken (or turkey) to the pot. Pour in the chicken broth and entire can of coconut milk. Stir to combine.
- Add the salt, pepper, and onion powder (adjust to taste).
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Once it boils, immediately decrease the heat to low. Let the chicken soup simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the fresh kale, fresh parsley, and lemon juice. Simmer another 5 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve with fresh lemon wedges (optional).
I like Lacinto (or Tuscan) kale in soups, but a curly kale or other sturdy green can be substituted.
For more flavor, you can simmer the keto chicken soup for about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.