Keto fajita seasoning is so simple to make at home, and is the perfect seasoning mix to have on hand! This delicious spice blend is not just for keto fajitas, but it's also one to reach for when you're looking for a simple taco seasoning or a dash of spice in any sort of Mexican-inspired dish. Make a quick batch of this low carb fajita seasoning and keep it in your pantry to make dinner prep a breeze, especially on busy weeknights!
This easy recipe is perfect to make in advance and stash away in your pantry for later use. It's the seasoning blend I use in my keto chicken fajitas recipe, and the best part is that it's also simple to modify to your own taste preference.
Homemade fajita seasoning features the bold flavors of chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and coriander.
They're just a few of the ingredients that will turn tender chicken, onions and peppers into delicious fajitas that will rival your favorite Mexican restaurant.
why this recipe works
So, what makes this fajitas seasoning blend "keto diet friendly"?
Homemade fajita seasoning features simple ingredients from your spice cabinet and is also free of any questionable additives, dyes and ingredients (like maltodextrin, which is commonly found in store-bought fajita seasonings).
This keto fajita seasoning recipe includes all the spices that bring big flavor. Plus, we're using a little bit of granulated golden monk fruit sweetener for a touch of sweetness to keep this spice mix sugar-free and low in net carbs.
Our homemade fajita spice blend is:
- easy to make and ready in minutes
- versatile and simple to modify to your own taste preferences
- the perfect, multi-use spice mix for a variety of dishes
- a sugar-free, low-carb and gluten-free seasoning spice mix
ingredients for low-carb fajita seasoning
This homemade seasoning is ready in just five minutes and it requires less than 10 ingredients.
To make it, you will need:
- black pepper
- garlic powder (or garlic granules)
- onion powder
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- ground coriander
- optional chipotle powder, adobo chili powder or cayenne pepper if you want an extra kick
- granulated monk fruit sweetener - I like Lakanto's Golden or Brown sweetener (affiliate links) but feel free to use your favorite sugar substitute.
The chipotle powder, adobo chili powder and cayenne pepper are great options if you want to give this homemade fajita seasoning mix a bit more heat.
Without it, the spice level is pretty mild. A bit of chipotle powder or ground cayenne pepper will up the spiciness to a medium high heat.
a five-minute keto fajita seasoning recipe
I love a good homemade spice blend or dry rub recipe, mostly because they're so simple to make and just five minutes of prep will set you up with an easy blend to use for several different meals.
Make sure you have an airtight container to store the seasoning mix. A mason jar, glass canister, empty spice bottle or even a plastic bag (I use a Stasher bag, pictured below) are good storage options for keeping the low carb fajita seasoning fresh and dry.
Here's a look at steps in this keto fajita seasoning recipe but be sure to check out the full recipe card at the bottom of the page.
In a small bowl, combine all of the seasonings.
Mix well and taste. Adjust as needed, adding more salt or seasonings for extra spice.
Transfer the keto fajita seasoning mix into an airtight container like a mason jar, empty spice jar or plastic bag.
Use as needed to season keto steak fajitas, chicken fajitas or any keto fajitas recipe.
tips for the best results
- This keto fajitas seasoning is what I use in my keto chicken fajitas recipe. I marinade the chicken with olive oil, lime juice and lemon juice along with a tablespoon of this spice mix, and I also stir it in with the bell peppers and onions while they sauté. You can use it in the same way for a beef-based fajitas recipe with skirt steak or flank steak.
- The sweetener is entirely optional. Feel free to leave it out if you are looking for more of a traditional taco seasoning.
- As I mentioned above, this low-carb fajita seasoning blend can be modified to fit your own taste preference. For a medium-high heat, make sure to use a touch of ground pepper like cayenne, chipotle powder or adobo chili powder.
- Taste the spice mix after all of the ingredients are well combined. This will help you determine whether it needs more salt, spice or even sweetness.
- This sugar free fajita seasoning recipe will keep well for four to six months when stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
other uses for this seasoning mix
Pull this one out of your spice cabinet for Taco Tuesday or stir it into a Mexican cauliflower rice!
It's a great way to add flavor to so many main dishes. Here are a few delicious recipes you can use this spice blend in.
you might also love...
Keto Chicken Chili with Butternut Squash is a hearty, flavorful meal that is warming and cozy. This low-carb and dairy-free recipe is easy to pull together and makes the perfect meal on any busy night.
This post for Crockpot carnitas with low carb tortillas features two recipes in one: homemade low carb tortillas, plus deliciously spiced and tender pork in the crockpot.
Low-carb Avocado Mango Salsa is fresh, flavorful and the perfect topping for salmon, fish tacos, or even as a dip.
Keto Fajita Seasoning (Gluten-Free)
This keto fajita seasoning recipe makes a delicious spice blend to use for fajitas, tacos and more. It is free of any preservatives, gluten and sugar, and only takes five minutes to prepare!
- 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon Brown or Golden monk fruit sweetener (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle powder, adobo chili powder or cayenne pepper (optional, for extra heat)
- Combine all of the spices and the optional sweetener in a small bowl.
- Use a small spoon or mini whisk to mix.
- Taste the seasonings and adjust as needed, adding more salt or spiciness (chipotle powder, adobo chili powder and cayenne pepper will all increase the heat).
- Transfer to a mason jar or other type of airtight container to use for storage.
This fajita seasoning blend will keep well for 4-6 months, stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
The sweetener is entirely optional. Feel free to leave it out if you are looking for more of a traditional taco seasoning.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!