It goes without saying that bacon makes everything better and you bet that’s the case with these bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers. A creamy, herb-y filling packed into a roasted spicy vessel is just perfection when wrapped in crispy, salty bacon.
I’m not one to care about the “big game” but when there are snacks involved? I’m totally there. Bring on the Superbowl (of snacks). But here’s the thing- you don’t even need an excuse to make these bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers. They’ll spice up (hehe) any old Sunday afternoon, game or no game. To be honest, I had some for breakfast the other day. Just happily doing my duty of cleaning out the fridge.
More to love about these keto jalapeño poppers:
- they are naturally keto-friendly and low-carb!
- they are dairy optional (swap in your favorite vegan cream cheese) and skip the bacon entirely if you want vegan jalapeño poppers
- it’s easy to adjust the spice level by removing all of the jalapeño seeds (my preference) or leaving a few in if you’re extra brave
Since keto jalapeño poppers should be made by all, this bacon-wrapped jalapeño popper recipe includes a classic jalapeño popper option (sans bacon).
And, I’ve also tested it with two different cooking methods: baking in the oven and cooking in the air fryer, which I am also sharing in the recipe.
Basically, there’s no excuse to skip this one, my friends. No excuse. 😉
how to make bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers
Let me be straight up with you. Working with fresh jalapeños has never been my favorite thing in the world and if I’m being completely honest, I often try to avoid it. I’ve had a few incidents in the past, but “live and learn” they say, so I’m here to share some tips that will be a lifesaver when you’re making these.
tips for prepping fresh jalapeños
- Wear gloves. This is my biggest piece of advice, as it will help protect your hands from any jalapeño oil. I use these easy disposable kitchen gloves but I’ve also used sandwich bags over my hands in a pinch (not recommended, but it’s better than nothing!).
- Don’t touch your face (or eyes!) after handling jalapeños. This may sound like a no-brainer but I can speak from experience that jalapeño oil is some serious stuff! I once had an incident that started with a tiny amount of jalapeño oil on my hands which then escalated to my entire face feeling like it was on fire. And it didn’t stop there. (Tip: don’t put contacts in after working with fresh jalapeños unless you’re certain the oil is off your hands. Let’s just say I was late for work that day.)
- If you do get some oil on your hands, try washing it off with dish soap. If that doesn’t help, rub a small amount of olive oil on your hands to help dissolve the capsaicin in the pepper. Rubbing alcohol (or even vodka) will do this too.
Now that I’ve thoroughly warned (scared you unnecessarily?) will you believe me when I say they’re really easy to make?! 😉
Here’s a look at how quickly these keto jalapeño poppers come together!
watch the video for bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers!
the ingredient list
I adapted this recipe from Cookie and Kate, and I love her tip for how to cut jalapeños. Instead of slicing them in half, cutting the top third off of the jalapeño gives you a stronger pepper shape to stuff and allows you to pack more filling into each one.
For these bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers, you will need:
- cream cheese (at room temperature)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- green onions, chopped
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- fine sea salt
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- bacon (not thick cut) sliced in half lengthwise
Bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers are an easy recipe to put together. They’ll be ready for the oven in a flash!
- Cut the jalapeños. Place each jalapeño down on the counter and see how it lays. Cut the top third off of each jalapeño and use a spoon (preferably a serrated spoon) to scoop out the flesh and seeds inside. Leave a few seeds if you want these jalapeño poppers to be extra hot!
- Make the filling. In a bowl, stir together the cream cheese (or vegan cream cheese), chopped cilantro, green onion, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and nutritional yeast (optional).
- Stuff the jalapeño poppers. Stuff each pepper with filling but try not to overfill. If using shredded cheddar cheese, place a small amount on top of each, pressing it into the mixture.
- Wrap the jalapeños. Carefully wrap each jalapeño popper with a half piece of bacon and secure it with a toothpick.
- Bake the jalapeño poppers. Space the jalapeño poppers out on a lined baking sheet and bake them at 400°F for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool at least 10 minutes before serving (the cheesy, melted inside will be super hot!). Serve with this 5-minute keto ranch dressing for delicious dipping action.
for air fryer jalapeño poppers
To make air fryer jalapeño poppers, follow the recipe and cook the jalapeño poppers in the air fryer at 390°F for about 8-10 min. Then bump it up to 400°F for another 3-5 minutes to get the extra bacon crisp.
keto jalapeño poppers without bacon
If you don’t have bacon, no worries! You can still enjoy these these keto jalapeño poppers without the bacon and make more of a classic style jalapeño popper.
Follow all of the steps but instead of wrapping bacon around each jalapeño popper, skip straight to baking them. You’ll want to go for a higher temp at a shorter amount of time- I do 425°F for about 12-15 minutes.
Afterward, you can top the keto jalapeño poppers with more chopped cilantro or crushed pork rinds for a delicious crunchy topping.
However way you choose to prepare these keto jalapeño poppers, you’ll love them! The creamy filling is cheesy and packed with fresh herbs for serious savory goodness. With just the right amount of spice, and crisp, salted bacon to top it all off, one bacon-wrapped jalapeño popper just won’t do. No, you’ll need a few of these in your snacking lineup. And if you ask me, that’s the best kind of game-day lineup there is.
you might also love…
- Air fryer zucchini tots, a low-carb, veggie-packed snack that’s tasty and fun!
- The BEST air fryer chicken wings. No soggy, saucy wings here. These are crisp and seasoned to perfection.
- Keto chili, a gluten-free, bean-less and dairy free recipe that is a mainstay in my dinner rotation.
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links. I earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you purchase something from one of those links. I will always recommend brands and products that I use and love. Thank you for supporting Stem and Spoon! -Abby
- 12 large jalapeños
- 8 oz. cream cheese (or vegan cream cheese), at room temperature
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional- omit if dairy free)
- 6 strips bacon, cut in half (don't use thick-cut bacon)
- 12 round toothpicks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat for easy cleanup.
- Wearing disposable kitchen gloves, cut one-third off the top of each pepper (lengthwise) and discard (or set aside to save for use another time). With a paring knife or a serrated spoon, remove the flesh and seeds, hollowing out the jalapeño.
- Leave a few seeds in each jalapeño if you'd like them extra spicy! Otherwise, rinse each jalapeño to wash out any remaining seeds. Pat them dry with paper towels and set them on a plate.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese with the green onion, cilantro, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and nutritional yeast (optional). Stir the mixture until it's well combined and creamy.
- Stuff each pepper to the top with the filling, but be careful not to overfill. If using shredded cheddar cheese, place a small amount on top of each, pressing it into the filling (optional).
- Carefully wrap each jalapeño popper with a half piece of bacon and secure it with a toothpick.
- Place each bacon-wrapped jalapeño popper onto the baking tray. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Remove from the oven and let the keto jalapeño poppers cool for at least 10 minutes before serving (the cheesy, melted inside will be super hot!).
When preparing jalapeños, disposable gloves are highly recommended!
To make air fryer jalapeño poppers: Follow the recipe and cook the jalapeño poppers in the air fryer at 390°F for about 8-10 min. Then bump it up to 400°F for another 3-5 minutes to get the extra bacon crisp.
For keto jalapeño poppers without bacon: Follow the recipe, skipping step 6. They will not need to bake as long and you can also increase the bake time. Bake them at 425°F for about 12-15 minutes. Afterward, top them with more chopped cilantro or crushed pork rinds for a delicious crunchy topping.
This recipe was adapted from Cookie and Kate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
This nutritional information is approximate and is provided for convenience as a courtesy.